The main reason for setting up a maintenance engineers jobs is to Focus on asset reliability, maintenance, and life cycle cost for the entire installation. Hence the roles and responsibilities of this work must be supported.
The role of an effective maintenance engineering function is to provide Leadership, direction, and technical support necessary to acquire and maintain Optimum reliability, maintenance, and life cycle costs of facility assets.
Although maintenance engineering may not directly affect the performance of the facility, it should responsibility is to provide accurate facilities and functional management. Timely data that can be used to optimize maintenance and facility strategies. It will support continuous improvement and ultimately result in world-class performance.
Maintenance Engineers Jobs and Responsibilities
Develop criteria for effective maintenance management
Ways to optimize maintenance strategy
- Evaluate current practices against best practices
- Formulate suggestions to overcome deficiencies
- Validation methods for preventive and corrective maintenance activities
- Analyze failure history against preventative maintenance activities by type of property, area, and classification.
- Evaluate and update individual preventive maintenance tasks
- Suspicious Area Work Lists and Orders, Asset Types, and Classifications
Ways to improve the quality of work done
- Evaluate completed tasks, callbacks, and rework
- Audit random execution of preventive and corrective activities
- skills assessment
Ways to reduce maintenance workload
- Evaluate maintenance history to determine proper periodicity and range
- Evaluate maintenance prevention methods that reduce maintenance Requirements
- Develop a configuration management process to ensure reliability, maintainability
- Assess the effectiveness of planning/scheduling
Improve asset reliability
Ensure reliability and maintenance of new/modified facilities
- Develop the configuration management process.
- Active participant in the specification, procurement, and installation of new assets or updates/modifications
- Perform site acceptance tests using predictive maintenance techniques, to verify the inherent reliability of the assets
- Perform root cause failure analysis on failures and anomalies
Identify and correct underlying design/installation/operation issues
- Perform failure mode analysis on simplified and critical failure modes on assets
- periodic evaluation of asset history
- Periodic testing using predictive techniques to identify upcoming reliability issues
- Verify and validate standard procedures (SOP, PM, and tasks, Organize)
- Develop/modify PM and work orders for critical assets
Improve life cycle cost
- Maintenance and analysis of equipment data and historical records.
- Predict future maintenance needs
- Develop effective procedures to monitor, and adjust, MRO Spare parts, asset replacement, overhaul, etc. for critical assets
- Ensure that the asset is correctly designed, selected, installed, operated, and maintained on the basis of the life cycle cost philosophy
- Monitor and evaluate asset performance
- Review asset deficiencies and implement improvements
- Do a periodic cost-benefit assessment
- Identify and fix problems with old and expensive assets
Provide technical support
- Maintenance manager
Documentation is an inherent part of the maintenance engineer’s job profile. It includes following the standard procedure and practices to do the job. Some of the documents are verified by external auditors. For example; ISO, OHSAS, EHS, and many others. The basic documents that a maintenance engineer to make or update on daily basis are:
What is OEE?
OEE is Overall Equipment Efficiency. This metric is used to determine how efficiently a machine is running.
What are the skills required for a maintenance engineer?
A maintenance engineer should have knowledge of mechanical, electrical, and plumbing basic skills. Also, he should understand and make the logic in PLC and could understand ladder and electrical drawings.
Is a Maintenance engineer a good job?
It depends on the individual. If a person loves to work with machines and troubleshoot problem easily, then it is a good job as you will find many opportunities. But if you do not like this, then the maintenance job is not for you.